PTA Meeting Minutes

Cavehill Primary School

Parent Teacher Association

Minutes 15.10.19

ATTENDEES:• Committee: Meghan Hoyt (Chair), Carole Glass (Treasurer), Jill Wharry (Secretary), Aisling Pugsley, Jennifer Casey, Aneta Nixon, Gemma Jordan, Pauline McCallion, Peter Connolly, Mr Orr.• Other attendees: Kylee Murphy, Amanda Buckley and Joanne Harris.

Committee Apologies:  Miss McClelland, Julie Boone, Alison Moore, and Gillian Weir.  1. Welcome and Apologies 

Meghan thanked everyone for coming and noted apologies.2. Financial update – Carole

Approx. £7,700 in bank today.• £3,448 unrestricted• £4,253 restricted (£637 Victoria Homes & £3,616landscaping)

Mr Orr still chasing Education Authority for invoice for landscaping. Content for PTA to write cheque to school to clear balance. Carole to arrange.

Potentially change bank – Initial investigations to move bank account from First Trust to another provider as no online banking, only one paper statement per month, no atm ability for mini-statements etc). Gemma to liaise with Carole re info on Ulster Bank Business Accounts.

Retain small amount for petty cash as there is £0.65 fee per cheque written.

Carole attended NICVA course re small charity finances which was useful but has a few questions to ask re Charity Commission etc. Carole to follow up with Meghan and Julieseparately.3. Grant update

Julie unable to make it. Jill to issue separate report to the Committee via correspondence.4. Garden update – Aisling

Aisling attended a residential which was provided useful tips on how to be more engaging with the Community. Aisling would like to explore working more closely with St Therese re shared learning, and do more work in the garden to add to school environment. Aisling has also applied for funding for garden officer. 

From Jan’20 Aisling suggested she could run an after schools club for 10 kids aged 8-11. Aisling to liaise with Mr Orr.

Other ideas discussed such as:• Summer maintenance – possibly add onto summer scheme.• One day a week garden drop in 3 – 5 pm• Once a month/6 weeks family garden day

A special thanks was expressed to parent John Buckley for clearing the lane way at Upper Cavehill. Aisling suggested this could become “adopt a spot”.5. Events updatea) Events since the last meeting• P1 welcome evening – well attended approx. 75 guests• Grandparents coffee morning – fantastic amount raised, queue followed better, feedback to be more inclusive and not just be an event for grandparents. This was discussed and the general feeling at the meeting is that other family members are more than welcome but could be better advertised.• Gardening day –several families came along and tidied up the garden and finished with soup made from produce.b) Future events planned• Halloween – afterschool treats to be ran and pumpkin carving competition• Christmas – Movie Night, Raffles, Afterschool Treats, Nativity refreshments• Gin Tasting Night – confirmed date of 30 November6. Teacher input/feedback

New VP to join the PTA Committee.

KS2 require maths equipment at approx. cost of £1k.7. AOB

Teacher fund for Christmas and end of term gifts discussed and how it could potentially be setup. PTA aware some years already collectively buy group gifts. Suggested to try to setup informally amongst parents rather than via the school or PTA in the first instance.

Parent Teachers Interview dates discussed. Some parents raised concerns with interviews being spread over full week. The school has considered several options over the years and this has been the most viable option to date.